Sunday, November 17, 2013

Join The Foodies Read 2014 Challenge: Sign Up Here

Foodies Read 2014

Welcome to the 2014 edition of Foodies Read! 

If you are new to a food/reading challenge, you may be wondering – what is a “food book”? A food book is a book which is centered around food and/or drinks. That could be a cookbook, a food biography or memoir, a non-fiction book focused around a specific food, wine, chef or restaurant, or a fictional story in which food plays a major role.

Here’s how the challenge works:
1. Decide how many food books you want to read in 2014. 
Pick one of the reading levels below: 

Levels:
Short-Order Cook: 1 to 3 books
Pastry Chef: 4 to 8 books
Sous-Chef: 9 to 13 books
Chef de Cuisine: 14 to 18
Cordon-Bleu Chef: More than 19

2. Grab the challenge button and write a post on your blog so we can spread the word. If you want, you can also add the button to your sidebar to help get the word out that the challenge is a go for 2014.

Want to join but don't have a blog? That's fine, just post a comment below in the comments section saying so, and then post your reviews in the comment section of the corresponding tab at the top of the blog under the header.

3. After you read each book for the challenge, come back here and tell us about it. Click on the correct category for your book on the menu bar, and post the link to your review. We’ll use the same categories as last year: Cookbooks, Memoirs/Biographies, Fiction, and Nonfiction. There's also a tab for you to link up your Challenge Wrap-Up post.

Guidelines:
The challenge runs from January 1 through December 31, 2014.
You don’t need a pre-selected list of books.
It’s okay to cross over with other challenges.
Any book format is allowed (print, audio, ebook)

Sign Up Here:
If you're new to this linky, this is how to fill it out:

First Line: name & blog title 
Example: Vicki @ I'd Rather Be Reading At The Beach

Second Line: email address (not shown)
Example: irbratb.com

Third Line: URL to your Challenge Post, not your blog
Example: irbratb.com/2012/11/21/foodies-read-2013/

40 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm in! I loved this one last year. I'm going for pastry chef this year.

Vicki said...

So glad you're joining again Yvonne!

This year has been rough on our family and I haven't commented on the reviews for the challenge like I'd wanted to, but hope to do better in 2014.

Can't wait to see what books you choose!

Kimberly said...

Love this and will be signing up to participate. I'll wait to sign up though until I get a post written about it. Thanks!

Sidne said...

ok, I'm in. looking for challenges I did not do last year and i love cook books and sorts. I know a blogger that might love this challenge so i'm off to inform her to sign up.
I hope this does not led to weight gain. lol

Book Dragon said...

I'm going for Pastry Chef again. The reviews mess me up each year but this year I read "Without Reservations" and counted it because who doesn't make reservations for dinner? Too bad it had nothing to do with food.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love memoirs and food type reads.... probably pastry chef for my debut attempt. I will put my post up tomorrow ;)

CMRiedel said...

Hello Vicky from Carolyn, a current member of your group. I am sorry to see above about a tough year. May you rise above it. When I have a moment (so many groups close in December) please know I'm re-joining your fold. I'll do even better. I commented asking if I could made do with two books in which herbs were used superstitiously!

I also want to share with all of our foodies that I launched 3 brand new challenges, of my very own! Whether you like the spiritual / paranormal, word games, or mystery; I welcome all to read and review in their own languages. :)
http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-reading-themes/

Vicki said...

Hi Carolyn~ Yes, you're more than welcome to post on books about herbs.

Amanda Leigh said...

This sounds like so much fun! I am a complete foodie and I love to read! I'll do a post about this soon! I already know two books that I will read for this! :)

Amanda Leigh said...

Darn. I put the wrong URL and don't know how to delete it. If you can delete from your end, go ahead, I won't be offended lol. I'll put another with the correct URL. Sorry. :/

Vicki said...

Hi Amanda~ No problem,your link is deleted!

Gabrielle said...

I loved this challenge last year, but kept forgetting to do my reviews. Looking forward to unearthing some great new titles this year. Thanks for hosting!

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Joining as a Short Order Cook. :O)

Brooke Showalter said...

This is my first year, I'm going for pastry chef!

Mary R. said...

There were so many great food books I found last year and didn't get read that I am definitely in for 2014. Thanks for hosting such a wonderful challenge!

Christine said...

Thanks for hosting!

Vicki said...

You're very welcome Christine!

Padmajha said...

Hi Vicki! I have joined this challenge and I will be doing the Sous Chef level. I am really excited about this and will be posting my first review next week! Thanks for hosting this lovely challenge :)
Btw,can we opt for a higher level if we finish the chosen level before Dec 2014?

Vicki said...

Welcome to the challenge PJ!

Yes, you can read more than your original goal if you'd like.

Margot said...

Thanks so much for keeping this going. I took a year off from reading a lot of food books, but I'm ready to go again. A Reading Challenge always helps.

Vicki said...

So glad you're back Margot! Can't wait to check out your foodie books!

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh! This looks like great fun! I think I'll be going for pastry chef, since I'm new at this (but an avid reader of foodie books!). Thanks for hosting this!

Vicki said...

You're welcome Susan! And thanks for joining the challenge!

Padmajha said...

Hi Vicki! I have just posted the review of my first read.Where should I link it?

Vicki said...

Hi Padmajha PJ~ At the top of the page, under the header, you'll see the different categories (Cookbooks, Fiction etc.) To add a review, just click on whichever one the books falls under and add your link to the linky.

Amanda said...

Hi Vicki, I have submitted my link (No.45) and have reviewed a book under Non Fiction.
But whenever I updated or post a new link to my blog, No. 45 disappeared. So I resubmitted (still No. 45), but it's gone again when I had a new thing on my blog at www.omarniode.org/blog.php

Darlene said...

Thanks again for hosting!

Laura said...

I have signed up at the Pastry Chef level.

Vicki said...

Your links should be fine now Amanda. If you have any more trouble please email me again.

Vicki said...

You're welcome Darlene, thanks for joining!

Vicki said...

Glad you joined Laura! Looking forward to seeing the books you review.

Katherine P said...

Just discovered this a little late but am so excited! This is right up my alley and I've signed up on the Pastry Chef level.

Vicki said...

Welcome Katherine!

Angela said...

Thanks so much for hosting this challenge again.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

My sign up post is finally up! I'll be a pastry chef again this year. I've already read my first book.

Vicki said...

Glad you joined Angela and Gilion!

Unknown said...

I was wondering why I felt led to sign up for The Pastry Chef. Then it dawned on me!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

I've been posting without knowing about this FuN challenge =)
Will work at a post and get back here..

A quick headsup for any late readers like me..
Currently,
Virgin Mobile Aus @VirginMobileAus · Jul 10
For every food pic you post to Twitter with #mealforameal, we’ll deliver a real meal to someone in need.

Vicki said...


Great Faith!
Thanks for the info about the meals!

paleorecipe1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.